What is NZALA?
The New Zealand Association of Literary Agents was set up to establish standards for literary agents operating within New Zealand.
All NZALA members subscribe to a code of ethics that includes:
- working on commission
- not charging upfront fees for the promotion of manuscripts
- not charging fees for reading manuscripts for agency purposes
Here is a list of NZALA members and their contact details.
- Glenys Bean, email@example.com
- Michael Gifkins and Associates - not currently accepting submissions
- Frances Plumpton Literary Agency, www.francesplumpton.com (only NZ writers and illustrators for the children's market)
- Richards Literary Agency, firstname.lastname@example.org
- TFS Literary Agency, see our agency services for more details or contact us.
How to contact an agent
Here are some tips on how to approach an agent:
- E-mail first (or write including sae)
- Give a brief statement of your background
- Briefly describe your book.
- Say which publishers you have already shown it to, if any.
- Do not send electronic or hard copies unless you are asked to.
- If you are asked to send a hard copy, make sure you include a prepaid return envelope.
This is the website for Chris and Barbara Else and the TFS Literary Agency and Assessment Service